- What We Do
- News & Media
- Help Us
- Contact Us
Apostleship of the Sea cruise chaplains provide cruise companies with a spiritual and pastoral service for both passengers and crew.
The emphasis however is on the welfare of the crew who work long and demanding hours, and go for months at a time without the sacraments.
"For those who work long periods at sea, chaplains provide much needed support in the absence of friends and family. They can comfort, reassure and offer spiritual guidance to those in need.” ~ Jo Utteridge, former dance captain and production manager on Costa cruise ships.
"What encapsulates my time on board was the love and joy of the crew showed in celebrating the Eucharist. At a time when they are far away from loved ones for nine months at a time in the Eucharist they were at one with their family and friends. I was made to feel very much at home and part of the crew family while I was on board, something I will cherish." ~ Fr David Gamble, AoS cruise chaplain.
Our chaplains' ministry
The cruise industry is booming, and more Britons are taking cruises. Yet for the staff on board life is not always so glamorous. Crew often work long hours and for relatively little pay. Many go without the sacraments for months at a time. For many crew, the presence of a priest on board brings great comfort.
- AoS currently has a team of 40 cruise chaplains, mainly deployed at Christmas and Easter.
- Aos cruise chaplains are on board for the benefit of passengers and crew but their priority is the crew.
- Our cruise chaplains are there to offer spiritual and pastoral support including hearing confession, celebrating Mass and offering prayers. Basically being a good friend to the crew.
- Using AoS' network of global port chaplains, our cruise chaplains also provide a link to our port chaplains who can then assist should the need arise.
Cruise lines are realising that having a chaplain on board a ship can be of great benefit to both crew and passengers. Cruise chaplaincy is part of AoS’s broader work of supporting seafarers working on merchant and fishing vessels and also their families back home.
Our Cruise Chaplaincy News page gives examples of why our ministry with crew is so vital.
Who we work with
- Carnival Cruises: P&O and Cunard
For enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To read our latest Cruise Chaplaincy Review then click here to download the pdf document.